Parliament passes IIT billApril 30th, 2012 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Parliament Monday passed a bill which will make the six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) capable of granting degrees to the engineers that pass out.
The Institute of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010, along with the National Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010, was passed by the Rajya Sabha by voice vote Monday. Both the bills have already been passed by the Lok Sabha.
The institute of technology bill adds eight new Indian Institutes of Technology in Bhubaneshwar, Gandhinagar, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Mandi, Patna, Ropar and Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University (BHU), to the list of IITs. All these institutions will be declared as institutions of national importance.
The National Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010, amends the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007, to add a schedule of five Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER), established in Kolkata, Pune, Mohali, Bhopal and Thiruvananthapuram.
- President inaugurates PanIIT 2010 conclave - Oct 29, 2010
- Sibal meets directors of new IITs - Oct 21, 2010
- List of bills on monsoon agenda (To go with parliament curtain raiser) - Jul 31, 2011
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE test - May 26, 2010
- Hyderabad steals the show in IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Government unveils 31 bills for passing, 23 for introduction - Nov 16, 2011
- Important bills likely in monsoon session (To go with parliament curtainraiser) - Jul 25, 2010
- Lok Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Aug 30, 2012
- Can't quit IIT, reappear in entrance test: Court - Apr 05, 2012
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Sibal rules out rollback of common IIT test - Jun 12, 2012
- Parliament skips knotty bills for the week as sesion resumes - Aug 02, 2010
- 22 year old becomes IIT professor - Jul 14, 2010
- Bansal says disruptions in parliament against true spirit of democracy - Mar 25, 2011