Parliament adjourned for day over Anna detention (Lead)August 16th, 2011 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were adjourned for the day Tuesday amid noisy scenes and arguments between the opposition and treasury benches over the detention of activist Anna Hazare and his associates.
Uproar erupted in the Lok Sabha immediately after the house assembled, with the opposition led by Bharatiya Janata Party protesting Hazare’s detention by Delhi Police earlier in the morning.
The opposition MPs, while terming the government’s move as undemocratic and unjustified, demanded the suspension of the question hour to take up a full-fledged debate on the issue.
Shouting anti-government slogans, opposition members demanded an explanation from the United Progressive Alliance government for detaining the crusader and hundreds of his supporters ahead of their peaceful protest to press for a stronger Lokpal bill.
Leader of Opposition in the house Sushma Swaraj had already given a notice for suspension of the question hour in the Lok Sabha to discuss Hazare’s detention episode.
In view of the ruckus, the speaker adjourned the proceedings first till 11.30 a.m. and later till noon.
But when the house met again, similar uproar was witnessed and the speaker adjourned the Lok Sabha for the rest of day.
In the Rajya Sabha earlier, the issue was raised by Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley as soon as the house assembled. He said the detention of the 74-year-old Hazare was a “murder of democracy”, triggering protests from the Congress.
The unrest continued and Chairman Hamid Ansari adjourned the Rajya Sabha till 12 noon. Later it was adjourned for the day.
- No business, parliament adjourned for second day - Nov 23, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament, no business done (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over Anna arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- Hazare protest stalls parliament - Aug 23, 2011
- Parliament disrupted, opposition targets Chidambaram (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over anti-Chidambaram protests - Dec 16, 2011
- Telangana issue stalls parliament as MPs unite (Lead) - Mar 03, 2011
- Parliament adjourned till Monday over anti-Chidambaram protests (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Now opposition guns for Chidambaram, Lok Sabha disrupted - Apr 27, 2012
- After Chidambaram, opposition now guns for Krishna - Dec 09, 2011
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Protests over graft, inflation stall parliament second day (Third Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Lok Sabha adjourned over new poverty line norm - Mar 21, 2012
- Parliament returns to disruptions over demands for Chidambaram's ouster (Roundup) - Dec 08, 2011
- Parliament disrupted over 1984 killings, caste census, phone tapping (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011