Parked car spreads bomb panic in KolkataSeptember 28th, 2008 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 28 (IANS) Residents of a south Kolkata colony hit the panic button when they found a car parked in their locality since Sunday morning. Fearing there could be a bomb inside, they called the police. “A Maruti 800 car was parked near the Durga Puja pandal of South Lake Palli in south Kolkata since early Sunday morning. Residents grew suspicious after no one came to drive away the car till noon. They informed the local police station thinking it might be a car bomb,” said a police official.
“Police personnel, along with officials from the bomb disposal squad, reached the spot and thoroughly searched the car. But nothing suspicious was found. We are searching for the owner of the car. If he is not found, we will take away the car to the police station,” he added.
“We were really worried since no one came to claim the car. We panicked as this was after the Delhi blast Saturday. This is a small locality and we all know each other and can spot an outsider car at once. This car neither belonged to any of the residents nor anyone had seen it enter the locality,” said Narayan Sil, a resident of Lake Palli.
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Mahanavami - Oct 16, 2010
- Lucknow gets Tagore's house replica for Durga Puja - Oct 01, 2011
- Hopping from Germany to galaxy to Kashmir at Puja pandals - Sep 18, 2011
- Durga Puja organisers send out a green message - Sep 29, 2010
- Durga Puja fervor grips Delhi - Oct 02, 2011
- Durga Puja fever soars in West Bengal (Lead) - Oct 17, 2010
- For many Kolkata celebs, home is where Durga Puja is - Oct 12, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrations continue for second day (Lead) - Oct 14, 2010
- Kolkata's Durga Puja marquees - innovative works of art - Sep 25, 2009
- Security beefed for Durga Puja festival in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- Durga Pooja This Year Was Very Special For Rituparna Sengupta - Oct 22, 2010
- Labour of love for capital's idol makers (Feature) - Oct 16, 2010
- Sea of humanity throngs Bengal streets on Mahashtami (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010