Parents seek better deal for Kerala nurses (Lead)January 4th, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Jan 4 (IANS) Kerala’s nurses, the face of Indian medicare, deserve better work conditions and higher wages, an association grouping their parents said Wednesday.
The Indian Nurses Parents Association (INPA) has come out in support of nurses who have been protesting in support of their demands. Many parents marched Wednesday in solidarity.
Mohan Kumar, the Ernakulam district coordinator of INPA, said: “We will strongly support the nurses.”
He said the group will hold a state convention at Kottayam Jan 7.
The INPA also backed nurses at the Little Flower Hospital Angamaly near Kochi who have struck work since the past two days.
“We took loans to educate our children so that they could become nurses. After all the hard work, when they got a job, the salary is meagre. We want these nurses to be paid Rs.20,000 a month,” said Kumar.
Under government rules, the starting monthly salary of a nurse, including allowances, should be around Rs.8,000.
“We have briefed Chief Minister Oommen Chandy about the tough working conditions of nurses in the private sector. We expect the government now to step in and end the sufferings of the nurses,” said Kumar.
- Parents of Kerala nurses seek better wages for children - Jan 04, 2012
- Nurses' strike: Court orders police protection for hospital (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Kerala accords state funeral to two AMRI nurses - Dec 12, 2011
- Kerala nurses end strike (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- CPI-M supports nurses' stir in Kerala - Feb 04, 2012
- Kerala nurses in demand abroad but exploited at home - Dec 16, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- Kochi Metro project to go ahead: Chandy - Jun 06, 2011
- Chandy to bat for Kochi IPL - Oct 07, 2011
- Nurses refuse to come down from Kerala hospital terrace - Aug 16, 2012
- Union minister's Mullaperiyar remark irks Kerala - Jan 16, 2012
- Smart City Kochi pavilion to open next month - Apr 25, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Sreedharan is on board Kochi Metro - Jan 12, 2012
- KSIDC to work on projects worth Rs.100,000 crore - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: chandy, chief minister, district coordinator, ernakulam district, flower hospital, government rules, indian nurses, inpa, jan 7, kottayam, little flower, medicare, mohan kumar, parents association, rs 8, salary of a nurse, solidarity, sufferings, wages, working conditions