Parents protest fee hike by private schools in Delhi suburbsMarch 16th, 2009 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, March 16 (IANS) Parents in the National Capital Region (NCR) Monday held demonstrations against the hike in school fees of their children in the times of recession.
A group of about 150 parents held an agitation outside Ryan International and Sommerville schools in Greater Noida while in Noida the demonstration was held outside the Delhi Public School to demand a roll-back of fee hike.
In Ghaziabad, a protest was organised at the Dehradun Public School.
The protesters asked the schools to revoke the hike and threatened to boycott the Lok Sabha polls if their demands were not met.
Most private schools in the capital and nearby townships have increased the fees in view of the hike in salaries of government employees on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission. To pay the arrears to the teachers, the schools have passed off the burden to the parents.
“We are already going through tough times. Many of the parents have also lost their jobs during current recession. The schools, instead of understanding this, have passed off the entire burden on to us,” said Anup Khanna, general secretary of Gautam Budh Nagar Guardians’ Association.
“This is really pinching our pockets. Only we know how we are managing the entire finances,” Khanna said.
“The schools are humiliating us during these tough times. We have decided not to pay the arrears that the schools have demanded from us,” said Khanna.
- Delhi's suburban private schools drop fee hikes after protests - Mar 17, 2009
- Noida toll bridge hike likely to be rolled back (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Railway minister leads Trinamool rally against fuel hike (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Parents to protest against unfair school fee hikes - Apr 29, 2011
- Parents to protest arbitrary fee hike in private schools - Apr 22, 2011
- Consumers cry foul over power tariff hike in Delhi - Jul 05, 2012
- CPI-M, BJP protest petrol price hike in Srinagar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Railway minister leads Trinamool rally against petrol hike - May 24, 2012
- CAG to submit audit report against 25 private schools - Mar 08, 2011
- New tax on domestic LPG in Maharashtra rolled back - Mar 30, 2012
- BJP protests fuel price hike in Delhi, demands rollback (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Corruption sparks protest in Srinagar - Nov 15, 2011
- Court orders rollback of school fee hike - Jul 20, 2011
- BJP protests petrol price hike, demands rollback - Sep 16, 2011
- Congress welcomes petrol price cut, BJP wants rollback - Jun 02, 2012