Parents of Kerala nurses seek better wages for childrenJanuary 4th, 2012 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Jan 4 (IANS) Parents of Kerala nurses have demanded better wages and work conditions for their trained children, a representative of parents’ association said Wednesday.
The Indian Nurses Parents Association (INPA) pledged support to groups of protesting nurses and took out a march Wednesday to express their solidarity with them.
Speaking to IANS, Mohan Kumar, Ernakulam district coordinator of INPA, said: “We will strongly support the nurses and for that we are holding our state convention at Kottayam on Jan 7.”
The INPA also backed nurses at the Little Flower Hospital Angamaly near Kochi who have struck work since the past two days.
“We took loans to educate our children so that they could become nurses. And after all the hard work, finally when they got a job, the salary is meagre. We demand that these nurses be paid Rs.20,000 as monthly salary,” said Mohan Kumar.
As per government rules, the starting monthly salary of a nurse, including allowances, should be around Rs.8,000.
“We have met Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and have briefed him about the tough working conditions of nurses in the private sector. We expect that the government will now step in and end the sufferings of the nurses,” said Mohan Kumar.
- Parents seek better deal for Kerala nurses (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Nurses' strike: Court orders police protection for hospital (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Kerala nurses end strike (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Kerala accords state funeral to two AMRI nurses - Dec 12, 2011
- CPI-M supports nurses' stir in Kerala - Feb 04, 2012
- Kerala nurses in demand abroad but exploited at home - Dec 16, 2011
- Kochi Metro project to go ahead: Chandy - Jun 06, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- Evidence links Achuthanandan's son with jailed 'godman' - Nov 29, 2011
- Nurses refuse to come down from Kerala hospital terrace - Aug 16, 2012
- Kerala minister's car kills two - Nov 21, 2011
- Chandy to bat for Kochi IPL - Oct 07, 2011
- Kerala presses for new dam with demonstrations, shutdown - Nov 29, 2011
- Governor unwell, Chandy takes R-Day parade salute - Jan 26, 2012
- Sreedharan is on board Kochi Metro - Jan 12, 2012
Tags: chandy, chief minister, district coordinator, ernakulam district, flower hospital, government rules, indian nurses, inpa, jan 7, kottayam, little flower, mohan kumar, parents association, private sector, rs 8, salary of a nurse, solidarity, sufferings, wages, working conditions