Parents, five relatives get jail for human sacrifice of two kidsDecember 1st, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
Thane (Maharashtra), Dec 1 (IANS) A local court here Thursday sentenced seven people to five years’ rigorous imprisonment for murder of two children, which later turned out to be a case of human sacrifice. The kids’ parents were also among the seven.
Additional Sessions Judge R.M. Joshi sentenced the seven for murdering Om, 7, and Ritika, 3, in the name of a spiritual cleansing ceremony.
Joshi also added one more year of imprisonment for the father, Vishal Jaiswal, for hiding information and misleading the police.
A fine of Rs.3,000 was also slapped on Vishal, his wife Rita and his father Sachalal along with his three brothers - Sanjay, Dinesh and Satish and Satish’s wife Dolly.
The eighth accused, Sumitradevi, Vishal’s mother was set free due to lack of evidence.
On Oct 15, 2010, residents of Jai Matadi apartment at Ostwal Nagri in Nalasopara town, rushed to the residence of Vishal and Rita to answer their call for help and saw the kids lying unconscious.
Vishal informed them that his children suddenly fainted and fell down on the ground.
Neighbours immediately rushed both the children to a local doctor but were shocked to learn they were already dead. Later, the post-mortem of the two bodies revealed that Om and his little sister had died due to strangulation.
Police arrested the eight family members after they contradicted each other in their statements during interrogation.
One of the family member had revealed that the kids fainted after watching their maternal aunt Dolly behaving violently, as if overtaken by a spirit, after the Ashtami pooja.
She allegedly also danced on the bodies of the two kids alleging that they (kids) were overtaken by an evil spirit and that she could rescue them. The kids could not bear her weight on their neck and were strangulated.
- Seven held for death of two kids in Maharashtra - Oct 16, 2010
- Four of a family charred in Delhi gas cylinder blast - Apr 08, 2012
- Woman branded witch, brutally tortured in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probation - May 24, 2012
- Bigg Boss 4 Day 64: Dolly falls sick; screams & shouts & scares the other contestants - Dec 08, 2010
- Lucknow poll official dies of heart attack - Feb 19, 2012
- Delhi Police issued notice on Vikas Yadav's bail plea (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Death sentences in 'honour killing' case commuted to 20 years - Mar 11, 2011
- Actor Shiney Ahuja appeals rape conviction - Apr 19, 2011
- Congress insists on CBI probe into UP girl's murder - Jun 14, 2011
- Vikas Yadav gets 2-hour parole to attend family function (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts set free before term - Aug 18, 2012
- No mercy for kidnappers of children, says Supreme Court - Dec 05, 2011
- Madan Mohan Malaviya's 150th birth anniversary to be celebrated - Sep 20, 2011
- Manoj-Babli case: Punjab and Haryana HC commutes death sentence to life imprisonment - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: ashtami, dinesh, evil spirit, human sacrifice, jai matadi, jaiswal, little sister, local court, local doctor, m joshi, maharashtra, maternal aunt, post mortem, rigorous imprisonment, ritika, sanjay, satish, spiritual cleansing, strangulation, wife rita