Paramilitary trooper shot dead in SrinagarSeptember 13th, 2008 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 13 (IANS) Suspected militants shot dead a paramilitary trooper in this summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir Saturday, police sources said.The trooper was gunned down in the old city area of Safa Kadal in the afternoon, the sources added.
According to the sources, unidentified militants opened fire from a close range at a trooper of Central Reserve Police Force in troubled Srinagar, which has been rocked by violent pro-freedom protests for the last two months.
More than 50 people have been killed, mostly in police and paramilitary firing, during the bitter stir over the Amarnath land dispute.
This is the first case of militant initiated violence during the last three months. The guerrillas, who have been fighting in Kashmir since the two decade old Pakistan sponsored insurgency started in 1989, were silenct during the stir against the land row, which has renewed secessionist sentiments in the valley.
- Militants gun down paramilitary trooper in Srinagar (Lead) - Sep 13, 2008
- 10 injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 06, 2012
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- Militants hurl grenade in Srinagar, 12 wounded (Lead) - Sep 17, 2008
- Guerrilla kills self in Kashmir mosque - Jun 30, 2011
- Kashmir cloudburst hits BSF camp, five rescued - Aug 22, 2012
- Srinagar on boil as youth killed in firing (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2010
- Sporadic post-Eid prayer clashes in Kashmir - Aug 31, 2011
- Violent clashes in Indian-administered Kashmir after youth dies in custody - Aug 01, 2011
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- CRPF trooper injured in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 27, 2011
- Peace winds blow in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2011