Paralysed man survives being barbecued

August 4th, 2011 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS  

London, Aug 4 (IANS) A paralysed man in Britain had a close shave with death as his mobility scooter went up in flames just a moment after his carer pulled him aside.

Terrified Aiden Cassidy, 77, who is paralysed down the left side, described how he was moments away from being ‘barbecued’ on the machine, Daily Mail reported.

As Cassidy made his way to a car-boot sale, his carer Anita Coombs was coming the other way. She spotted some little blue flame under his seat.

She quickly parked up and rushed to Cassidy’s aid, pulling him away from the scooter and saving his life, as second later it went up in flames.

Cassidy, of Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, said: “Anita saved my life. I could have been barbecued if it wasn’t for her. I couldn’t get away from the scooter because I had a stroke last year.

“The flames were coming over the back where the batteries were … nearly touching my feet.

“One of the batteries exploded and the next thing I knew it went up. Anita was coming to see me anyway and had to help me down off it else I would have gone up with it,” he said.

Related Stories

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe