Paralympic flame litAugust 29th, 2012 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Buckinghamshire, Aug 29 (IANS) The London Paralympic flame was ignited in Stoke Mandeville village prior to the 24-hour torch relay.
Up to 3,000 people attended the ceremony at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium, the spiritual home of the Paralympic movement, to witness the flame and the start of the relay Tuesday night, reports Xinhua.
The London Paralympic Games, from Aug 29 to Sep 9, will bring together 4,200 athletes from 166 countries to compete in 503 medal events across 20 sports.
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- London launches Paralympic torch relay - Aug 24, 2012
- Seven teenagers light London Olympics cauldron - Jul 28, 2012
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- Flame for Innsbruck 2012 Youth Olympics lit in Athens - Dec 18, 2011
- London Paralympics Games organisers launch short film - Aug 27, 2010
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Olympic cauldron extinguished for move - Jul 30, 2012
- Sochi Olympics torch relay to be longest one - Aug 13, 2012
- Putin voices support to Russian Paralympic team - Aug 20, 2012
- Proud of US Olympic team's hard work: Obama - Aug 05, 2012
- London 2012 Olympics mascots unveiled - May 20, 2010
- 2012 Olympic torch lit in Ancient Olympia - May 10, 2012
- Olympic Flame reaches Acropolis for handover ceremony - May 17, 2012