Paraguay striker to play with bullet lodged in skullJune 8th, 2012 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 8 (IANS) The wife of former Paraguayan international Salvador Cabanas revealed the striker is risking his life by playing with a bullet lodged in his skull.
The 31-year-old returned to professional football in April with his original club 12 de Octubre in Paraguay’s third division.
It came 810 days after Cabanas was shot in the restroom of a Mexico City bar following an argument with an alleged drug-dealer, who was arrested last year, reported Xinhua.
“He is not allowed to head the ball and his life is at risk if he continues to play professionally,” Maria Lorgia Alonso told TV programme Futgol 3D.
She added that she supported her husband’s comeback despite recognizing “he has limitations”.
The revelation came a day after the resignation of 12 de Octubre coach Roland Chilavert, who said the club could not win with Cabanas in the team.
Chilavert claimed he had been forced to include the forward by 12 de Octubre’s directors.
“I made it clear what Salvador’s limitations were and that he was in the team more for marketing reasons,” Chilavert said.
Cabanas is able to run freely but has limited vision and motor skills. Doctors decided against removing a bullet fragment in his skull, saying the operation would be too risky.
At the time of the incident, Cabanas was a leading striker for Club America in Mexico’s top division.
He made his international debut in 2004, scoring 10 goals in 44 appearances for Paraguay.
- Former Paraguay striker Cabanas returns to football - Apr 16, 2012
- Soccer star wounded in shooting vows to come back - Aug 10, 2011
- Suspect arrested in shooting of Paraguayan soccer star - Jan 20, 2011
- Mexican footballers in trouble for mock gunplay - Oct 18, 2011
- Footballer shot dead in Mexico - May 08, 2010
- Shocked Paraguay will look to recover - May 31, 2010
- Cardozo still doubtful, Santa Cruz recovers for Paraguay - Jun 11, 2010
- Stuttering champions Italy face tough opener - Jun 13, 2010
- Paraguay reap the fruits of 20 years of solid work (Team Profile) - Nov 28, 2009
- Forlan becomes highest scorer for Uruguay - Oct 13, 2011
- Ricky Martin performs in Paraguay - Sep 11, 2011
- Paraguay midfielder set for Flamengo move - Jun 14, 2012
- Paraguay seeks Indian investment - Dec 01, 2011
- Argentinean football player shot in carjacking - Jun 14, 2012
- Adriano to begin practicing with Flamengo - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: 12 de octubre, alonso, bullet fragment, chilavert, club america, international debut, mexico city, original club, paraguayan, professional football, resignation, restroom, revelation, rio de janeiro, roland, salvador cabanas, skull, striker, tv programme, xinhua