Pankaj Advani wins snooker championship openerJuly 2nd, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, July 2 (IANS) India’s Pankaj Advani, down by three frames, fought back to defeat Australia’s Ben Nunan 5-4 in his opening Group E league match of the SangSom Six Red World Championship snooker here Monday.
Advani, who came back from 0-3 to win, is scheduled to play home favourite Thepchaiya Un-Nooh and England’s Andrew Higginson Tuesday.
Meanwhile, in Group C, Indian champion Aditya Mehta had mixed results as he lost his opening match to Li Hang of China 4-5, but recovered to beat Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon of Thailand 5-4 to remain in contention for a knock-out berth.
Advani is clubbed with Shaun Murphy (England), Andrew Higginson (England) and the legendary Steve Davis (England) besides Nuan and Un-Nooh. Mehta has to contend with Mark Williams (Wales), Peter Ebdon (England) and Ken Doherty (Ireland) apart from Hang and Tirapongpaiboon.
- Advani has mixed luck in World snooker - Jul 03, 2012
- World snooker: Advani loses twice - Jul 05, 2012
- Advani, Merchant win twice as World Snooker Championship begins - Nov 28, 2011
- Advani leads way into last 16 of World snooker - Dec 01, 2011
- Walker, Ayouri snuff out Indian challenge - Dec 02, 2011
- Jones shocks Murphy on world snooker championship debut - Apr 24, 2012
- Eight Indians advance to knockout stage of World Snooker - Nov 30, 2011
- Ryan Day takes slender lead against Ding in world snooker - Apr 25, 2012
- World Snooker: Advani through to knockout stage - Nov 29, 2011
- World Snooker: Indian hopes ride on Advani - Nov 27, 2011
- India to host 2013 world professional snooker meet - May 04, 2012
- Advani, Mehta in last 8 of Asian snooker championship - Apr 27, 2012
- Advani, Mehta to clash for title in Asian Snooker (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Advani, Sethi to lead India's charge at World Snooker Championships - Nov 14, 2009
- Snooker: Advani qualifies for main draw - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: aditya, andrew higginson, bangkok, berth, champion, contention, India, ireland, ken doherty, knock out, match, mehta, nooh, nuan, nunan, pankaj advani, peter ebdon, shaun murphy, wales, world championship snooker