Panjab University teachers’ association president resignsSeptember 15th, 2008 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 15 (IANS) Panjab University Teachers’ Association (PUTA) president Ronki Ram has resigned from the post just 25 days after his election following a difference in opinion with other members of the group.Faculty members have accused Ronki Ram, who resigned Sunday, of going soft on the issue of central status for the university and of working in connivance with the Punjab government. The state government had on Sep 1 withdrawn its approval for central university status for the institution.
“Ronki Ram’s demand for 100 percent financial grant for the university from the union government over the central status of PU is the main cause of his debacle,” said a PUTA member.
“He is working on the guidelines of Punjab government and has weakened the struggle for central status,” the teacher added.
“I am very hurt by the allegations against me. Therefore, I have resigned on the ethical grounds in the larger interest of PU and to maintain the dignity of the PUTA president post,” Ronki Ram told IANS.
“Our foremost requirement is finances as PU is reeling under heavy financial crunch. So I had suggested PUTA members to first demand 100 percent funding from the union government and then intensify our demand for central status but some of the members did not agree and accused me of taking the side of the Punjab government,” said Ronki Ram.
- Ahead of student polls, war zone at Panjab University - Sep 01, 2011
- Panjab University teachers to observe Sep 5 as black day - Sep 04, 2008
- PM to visit alma mater in Chandigarh - Oct 30, 2009
- Panjab University hails budgetary grant (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- Sibal hopeful on central status to Panjab University - Nov 06, 2009
- Relief, cheer at Panjab University over budgetary grant - Jul 06, 2009
- PM's 'chair' offered to Cambridge professor - May 20, 2012
- Panjab University teacher resigns - Feb 17, 2011
- Two PU students invited by Rahul Gandhi for meeting - Oct 28, 2009
- Panjab University teachers reject UGC regulations - Jul 03, 2010
- Panjab varsity teachers oppose evaluation, online attendance - Jan 04, 2010
- Blacklist the black gowns! Voices in Panjab University - Feb 12, 2011
- Central funds to help Panjab University clear deficit - Nov 02, 2010
- Panjab University teachers see red over campus showbiz - Jan 21, 2012
- Panjab University struggles to declare exam results - Jul 01, 2010