Panel unlikely to suggest changes in IIM fee hikeAugust 11th, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Despite demands from various quarters to lower the fees in the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), the review committee appointed by the government to look into the issue is unlikely to suggest any change, an official said Monday. The committee, led by chief executive officer of Maruti Udyog R.C. Bhargava, visited IIMs and discussed the fee structure with the institutions. It is of the view that the fees should be finalised by the concerned IIM boards.
“The panel is unlikely to suggest changes in the fees that were hiked by the IIMs,” an official of the Human Resource Development Ministry said.
In April, the IIMs announced a fee hike from this academic year. IIM-Ahmedabad announced a fee hike of 175 percent for its first year post-graduate programme - from Rs.200,000 to Rs.550,000. Soon, other IIMs too increased their fees.
The panel is of the view that the IIM board should have the prerogative to decide its fee structure. It is also expected to recommend a few changes keeping in view the demand of the industry.
The committee is likely to submit its report next month.
At present the panel is also studying how the IIMs operate. It is expected to make recommendations on how the IIMs could attract foreign investment. The panel is also looking at B-schools in the US, which get funds from large corporate houses, as a study model.
At present, IIMs are largely funded by the government.
- IIM-A seeks restoration of powers - Jul 22, 2011
- Sibal asks IIMs not to hike fees - Apr 18, 2010
- Review panel wants IIMs not to hike fees for now - Apr 21, 2008
- Sibal wants IIM boards to select chairman, director - Mar 31, 2011
- IIM-Calcutta hikes fees by 50 percent - Apr 03, 2010
- We need to look beyond students' fee hike: IIM Calcutta director - Oct 08, 2010
- Global firms vie to grab Bangalore biz whizkids - Mar 24, 2012
- IIM-Ahmedabad again raises fees for post-graduate course - Mar 30, 2010
- Bhopal hospital staff seek pay hike, government gets notice (Lead) - Dec 12, 2011
- Panel in week to examine school fee hike: Court told - Sep 09, 2011
- Notice to Delhi government on panel to examine school fee hike - Sep 02, 2011
- IIM-Ahmedabad hikes tuition fees by Rs.50,000 a year - Mar 29, 2009
- Global firms line up with offers for IIM-B grads - Nov 02, 2011
- IIM-Calcutta hikes fees by 50 percent, intake reduced (Lead) - Apr 04, 2010
- Panel constituted to examine school fee hike - Sep 25, 2011