Panel formed to set up Ambedkar centre, memorial in DelhiNovember 30th, 2011 - 11:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) The central government Wednesday set up a committee to develop Dr. Ambedkar National Centre for Social Justice and a memorial in Delhi.
The 11-member committee, headed by Planning Commission Member Narendra Jadhav, was formed after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh directed Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik to take urgent steps to constitute a body to develop the memorial.
The report has to be submitted in three months’ time.
According to a statement, the city’s existing Ambedkar Memorial is at present located at 26, Alipore Road in north Delhi. The memorial was constructed at the spot where Ambedkar, who drafted India’s constitution, breathed his last Dec 6, 1956.
The memorial presently consists of a photo gallery and a library and is housed in a bungalow. The property was acquired by the government in 2003.
The government proposes to set up the proposed Dr. Ambedkar National Centre for Social Justice at Janpath, in the heart of Delhi.
A national library will also be established in Janpath. Ambedkar was honoured with the nation’s highest honour Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, 1990.
- PM orders development of Ambedkar memorial - Oct 05, 2011
- Dalit leaders demand Ambedkar memorial in Delhi - Jan 15, 2010
- PM to set up panel for senior citizens' welfare - Feb 01, 2012
- Mukul Wasnik opens sports meet of students with disabilities at Delhi University - Feb 05, 2011
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Name Mumbai station after Ambedkar, says Congress - Jul 07, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Bhimrao Ambedkar on his 120th birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2011
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging - Jul 16, 2012
- Nation pays homage to Bhim Rao Ambedkar on his 55th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Government to amend law on atrocities against SCs, STs - May 17, 2012
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Mayawati unveils two statues of B. R. Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Government plans new bill to ban manual scavenging - Apr 19, 2012
- Specially abled persons protest against delay of new Disability Law - Jan 01, 2011
- Need to sensitize society on autism - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: ambedkar centre, bungalow, central government, commission member, dr ambedkar, empowerment, highest honour, manmohan, manmohan singh, member committee, mukul, narendra jadhav, national library, north delhi, planning commission, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ratna, social justice, urgent steps