Panel calls for action on ‘14-point strategy’ to combat MaoismMarch 17th, 2008 - 11:09 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) The Administrative Reforms Commission (ARC) Monday recommended the implementation of a 14-point strategy announced in parliament to fight Maoism. “A long-term (10-year) and short-term (5-year) programme of action based on the 14-point strategy announced in parliament may be formulated by the union government in consultation with the concerned state governments to identify state specific action (to combat Maoism),” ARC chairperson M. Veerappa Moily said.
Moily added that along with the 14-point strategy, negotiations with the extremist outfits should be an important mode of conflict resolution. The commission stated that a major reason for the fall in periodic official inspections and review of organisational performances in the disturbed areas was the fear of personal safety among officers.
The need for enhancing the capacity of the security forces to act effectively and firmly in the troubled areas was also reiterated. Formation of special task force on the lines of greyhounds in Maoist-affected Andhra Pradesh has been proposed. Local level police stations should also be strengthened, the commission said.
The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government has drawn flak from the opposition parties for allegedly being soft in dealing with Maoism.
A union home ministry report released this year confirmed that Maoism was a threat in states like Chhattisgarh, Orissa, Jharkhand and Andhra Pradesh.
- Centre to introduce new law against land acquisition: Moily - Dec 28, 2010
- PM to review development strategy in Maoist areas - Sep 10, 2011
- Collectors in Maoist areas want to push rural roads project: Ramesh (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- New Competition Policy to be in place next year, says Moily - Sep 12, 2011
- Srikrishna Committee submits Telangana report to Chidambaram - Dec 30, 2010
- Telangana issue: Srikrishna Committee meet to finalise report - Dec 30, 2010
- Justice Srikrishna Committee report over Telangana issue expected today - Dec 30, 2010
- Greyhound academy to train Goa police team - Jul 17, 2010
- People turn to militancy when justice fails, says Moily - Jan 24, 2011
- Integrated approach needed to fight Maoists: Raman Singh - Jul 14, 2010
- No politics involved in helping Maoist-affected states: Moily - Jun 22, 2009
- Jairam for tribal-friendly development to fight Maoists - Jan 25, 2012
- Government denies plans to curb poll panel (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- No problem between Sonia Gandhi, PM: Congress spokesman - Dec 14, 2010
- Government losing its way in Maoist minefield - Apr 24, 2012