Panchayat polls begin in KashmirApril 13th, 2011 - 11:32 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 13 (IANS) The first phase of polling for the multi-phased Jammu and Kashmir panchayat elections started here Wednesday with queues seen outside several polling booths.
Voting began at 8 a.m. Enthusiastic voters were seen at many polling booths in Kangan block of Ganderbal district where both women and men turned out in fair numbers to choose their representatives.
In one such polling station at Chinar, 15 votes were cast within the first 10 minutes, out of the total 77 to be polled at the polling booth.
Enthusiastic voters have also lined up at Wangat, Margund, Mamar, and Kangan polling booths of this voting block.
Reports of good voter turnout have also come in from the other three blocks of Badgam, Kupwara and Qoimoh which are also going to vote for the panchayat polls.
While all separatist leaders have maintained the discreet silence over these polls, hardline senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani has called for a boycott of the polls.
The polls are being held after the state assembly elections of 2008 in which over 62 percent polling was recorded despite separatists boycott call.
The last panchayat elections were held in the state in 2001.
- Kashmir local polls see people in participative mood - Apr 18, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls begin Wednesday - Apr 13, 2011
- High voter turnout marks peaceful Kashmir panchayat polls (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Massive turnout in Jammu and Kashmir local polls (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- Panchayat polls began in Kashmir - Apr 13, 2011
- Kashmir holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 17, 2011
- Kashmir holds peaceful panchayat polls - May 16, 2011
- Panchayat polls commence in Jammu - Apr 13, 2011
- Third phase of panchayat polls begins in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2011
- Bihar conducts fifth phase of panchayat polls - May 03, 2011
- Second phase of Jharkhand panchayat polls begins - Dec 06, 2010
- Bihar holds fourth phase of panchayat polls - Apr 30, 2011
- High turnout in fourth round of Kashmir panchayat polls - Apr 25, 2011
- Bihar holds second phase of panchayat polls - Apr 24, 2011
- Polling ends in round eight of Kashmir panchayat elections - May 12, 2011
Tags: ali, assembly elections, boycott, discreet silence, geelani, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, panchayat elections, polling booth, polling booths, polling station, polls, queues, separatist leader, separatist leaders, srinagar, state assembly, voter turnout, women and men