Palsy patient still feels scared when boarding planeApril 19th, 2012 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 19 (IANS) Forty-two-year-old Jeeja Ghosh, who was offloaded from a Spicejet flight a few months back for being a patient of cerebral palsy, Thursday said she still feels scared whenever she boards a plane and added that she has now learnt to overcome the incident.
Ghosh, a teacher at the Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy, Kolkata was asked to deboard a Spicejet flight to Goa Feb 19 as the pilot reportedly found her unfit to fly alone. She was on her way to attending a conference in Goa.
“I want to forget the incident and go ahead in my life. A case has been filed in the Supreme Court against this. We need to raise awareness about the entire issue. We need to raise awareness that a person suffering from cerebral palsy can also take care of herself if she is provided with equal opportunities and rights,” said Ghosh while addressing a press conference here.
When asked about her feeling regarding boarding a flight after the incident, Ghosh said: “I was scared when I boarded a flight after the incident. But I know how to overcome fear.”
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has asked the Ministry of Civil Aviation to order an enquiry into the incident.
The ministry has also demanded punishment for the people if found guilty as the incident constituted a “serious violation of Ghosh’s rights”.
- Deboarding incident a rights violation: Government - Feb 22, 2012
- Punish airline for deboarding woman: Disabled rights group - Feb 21, 2012
- Women on wheelchairs call for equitable rights for all - Mar 07, 2012
- SpiceJet bomb scare creates chaos in Kathmandu - Sep 25, 2011
- Motivational speaker Johnnie Tuitel asked to de-board an US Airways plane for being 'too disabled' - Oct 18, 2010
- Kejriwal stopped from boarding flight - Jun 22, 2012
- Cerebral palsy, leading cause of child disability in India - Dec 03, 2010
- Detained Churchill Brothers footballers to be produced in Mumbai court - Jan 06, 2010
- Flight makes emergency landing after passenger's suicide bid - Jun 23, 2011
- Bhansali stranded at Jaipur airport - Nov 19, 2010
- Shonali Bose focuses lens on taboo subject - again - Mar 20, 2012
- Chinese mother jailed for drowning twins - Jun 29, 2011
- Parents of mentally disabled kids look for filmmakers - Nov 28, 2011
- Journalist beaten allegedly by Trinamool supporters - Feb 28, 2012
- It's honour for my organisation, not me: Padma Shri awardee - Jan 26, 2010