Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir securityMay 11th, 2011 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 11 (IANS) Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju Wednesday held a meeting at the Indian Army’s Northern Command headquarters to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir, an official source said.
“The rakshya rajya mantri (minister of state for defence) was briefed about the prevailing security situation both along the Line of Control (LoC) and the hinterland,” the source said, adding: “It was important security meeting in the wake of fresh challenges being anticipated during summer.”
The summer of 2010 had been particularly volatile with over 100 people killed in firing by the security forces at stone-pelting demonstrators.
The review began with a meeting between Raju and the Northern Command command chief, Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, at Udhampur, 66 kilometers north of Jammu. This was followed by a meeting with other senior officers of the command.
The meeting also took stock of the steps in place to prevent the infiltration of militants from Pakistan across the LOC and “also the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China in Ladakh sector”.
Raju, on the concluding day of his three-day visit to the Jammu region, also reviewed the major projects taken up by the Border Roads Organisation in remote parts of this mountainous area.
He also visited famous Hindu Shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu.
- Indian army chief visits J&K; - Jun 15, 2012
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
- Northern army commander visits India-China border, Siachen - Mar 10, 2011
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian Army vice chief reviews operational preparedness on borders - Oct 19, 2011
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Defence, home ministries to decide on AFSPA: Army - Jan 15, 2012
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
- India closely monitoring security at its borders: Krishna - Apr 06, 2011
- Antony calls for better synergy among security forces in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Army chief visits Northern Command - May 23, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary - Aug 24, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian Army chief urges extra vigil in Kashmir - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: actual control, border roads, command chief, command headquarters, demonstrators, hindu shrine, hinterland, important security, indian army, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, major projects, minister of state, mountainous area, pallam raju, security forces, security situation, udhampur