Palestinian refugees in Delhi face humanitarian crisisJanuary 18th, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) Palestinian refugees in the Indian capital say they are facing tough conditions and lack of resources is even preventing them to send their children to schools.”We are jobless. We are not able to send our children to schools,” Khalid Mohammed, a Palestinian refugee, told IANS.
Mohammed was joining his other countrymen at Jantar Mantar here Saturday to protest against the attacks by Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip that have left more than 1,000 Palestinians dead.
At least 150 members, including 30 children, of 30 Palestinian families are living as refugees in Delhi.
“We are facing food and accommodation problems,” Mohammed said, adding there are at least five members in each family who were putting up in single room flats.
The UNHCR office in Delhi gives each adult male refugee Rs.1,400 monthly aid while women and children get Rs.600 each.
Saturday’s protest against the Israeli attacks was organised by the Muslim Intellectual Forum.
“Our people are brutally killed by the jews. We are helpless. We have been facing these atrocities for long years,” said Mohammed Ali, who left his relatives in Gaza.
“My relatives were killed in the war. My people are being brutally killed,” he said.
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Hundreds of Myanmar nationals seek refugee status (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Parents to protest arbitrary fee hike in private schools - Apr 22, 2011
- Parents to protest against unfair school fee hikes - Apr 29, 2011
- Team Anna supporters gather in Jantar Mantar - Jul 25, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Anna fever returns to Delhi - Mar 25, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- BJP workers, police clash at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Attempted self-immolation by Tibetan against Hu Jintao's visit (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Delhi police gears for Anna's protest - Mar 24, 2012
- Hamas uncovers spy network collaborating with Israel - Sep 24, 2010
- For children, Anna Hazare a 'Second Gandhi' - Apr 10, 2011