Pakistani virologist Chisty released, apex court toldMarch 19th, 2012 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) The Supreme Court was told Monday that Pakistani virologist Mohammad Khaleel Chishty, undergoing life term in Ajmer jail for murder, was back home after he was granted clemency by the government.
A bench of Justice P. Sathasivam and Justice J. Chelameswar was told that Chishty has been granted clemency and deported back to Pakistan. Chishty, 80, has been ailing for a long time and is suffering ischemic heart disease, and left ventricular failure. He also had a hip fracture.
Chishty had been on a visit to his family to Ajmer in 1992 when he got embroiled in a fight resulting in murder of his relative, Sayyed Idris Chishti, in the premises of the famous Dargah of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti.
On Feb 14, 1992, Chishty went to attend a wedding in the neighbourhood and got into an argument with his relative and some others. The same evening, a mob, including Idris, came to Chishti’s brother’s house and a scuffle broke out between the two groups.
According to the prosecution Chishty opened fire and killed Idris.
Chishty and four others were arrested in March 1992. He was, however, released on bail and shifted to his brother’s farmhouse at Hatundi, 12 km from Ajmer and kept under house arrest.
Film director Mahesh Bhatt, journalist Kuldip Nayar and former apex court judge and Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju had been pleading with the government to release Chishty on humanitarian grounds.
Justice Katju had written to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi for his release.
An appeal for clemency was made on his behalf to the Rajasthan governor under the provisions of Articles 161 of the Constitution.
- Home ministry looking into Pakistani prisoner in Ajmer: PM - Aug 11, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner may be released - Jul 27, 2011
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner, 80, moves closer to release - Aug 05, 2011
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Pakistanis urge India to free aged prisoner Chishti - Apr 08, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Nayar, Bhatt appeal for Pakistani academician's release - Apr 25, 2011
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- India must let Chisty, Pakistani fishermen return: Activists - Apr 13, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Bansal offers chadar at Ajmer on PM's behalf - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: apex court, clemency, congress president sonia gandhi, court judge, dargah, film director, heart disease, hip fracture, house arrest, humanitarian grounds, khaleel, manmohan, manmohan singh, moinuddin chishti, nayar, press council of india, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sayyed, virologist