Pakistani troops fire at Indian troops again (Lead)August 21st, 2008 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 21 (IANS) Pakistani troops shelled Indian military positions along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday morning, officials here said.Five mortar rounds were fired at Nowshera sector, about 120 km north of Jammu, defence ministry spokesperson Lt. Col. S.D. Goswami told reporters.
While he did not say whether the firing was from militants or the Pakistani troops, official sources here indicated that it was the latter.
Last month India lodged a strong protest against firing by Pakistani troops along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir. Defence Minister A.K. Antony urged Islamabad to respect the ceasefire in place since 2003.
In a statement in New Delhi, Antony said that Pakistan must “fully respect the ceasefire agreed to between the two sides and adhere to the already existing mechanism” to deal with border violations.
An Indian soldier, Sepoy Mahesh Kumar of the 22 Rajput Regiment, and four Pakistani troops were killed in the firing after a group of 10-12 soldiers intruded into Indian territory in the Nowgom area of north Kashmir.
There have been some 20 violations of the ceasefire by Pakistani troops on LoC since January.
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire at Indian posts - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire, Indian soldier injured - Jan 13, 2011
- Firing across LoC on Indian troops - Aug 21, 2008
- Pakistani troops violate LoC five times - Aug 10, 2011
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Aug 26, 2011
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- One Indian soldier injured in six-hour firing on LOC (Third Lead) - May 23, 2010