Pakistani troops fire at Indian positions in KashmirJuly 26th, 2008 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 26 (IANS) Pakistani troops Saturday fired at Indian forward posts in the Krishna Ghati area along the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Jammu and Kashmir in an attempt to push in infiltrators, Indian defence officials said, terming it a violation of the ceasefire. “Pakistani troops fired at the Nangi Tekri post in Krishna Ghati Saturday morning. This fire was preceded by three rounds of rocket-propelled grenade fire by some miscreants at our post in Krishna Ghati,” defence spokesperson Lt. Col. S.D. Goswami told reporters here.
There was no casualty, he said.
“It was a clear breach of the ceasefire,” Goswami said.
“Our troops did not retaliate,” he maintained, refuting the Pakistani Army’s charge that Indian troops had fired and violated the ceasefire.
Indian and Pakistani armies have been observing a ceasefire on the international border and the 744-km LoC for over three-and-a-half years. However, in the recent past, there have been several violations of the truce, in which the Indian Army has lost three soldiers.
Goswami termed the latest violation as “cover fire” to facilitate infiltration into the Indian side.
“The infiltration level is being raised to disrupt the forthcoming (Jammu and Kashmir) assembly polls,” he said.
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at Indian posts - Oct 27, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in firing on LoC - May 02, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani troops battle on Kashmir border - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistan violates ceasefire - May 23, 2010
- Pakistan Army rockets Indian posts in Kashmir: army - Sep 29, 2010
- Indian Army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Aug 23, 2011
- All quiet at LoC, day after six-hour firing - May 24, 2010
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012