Pakistani terrorists planned to attack Malabar Hill: KasabApril 18th, 2009 - 5:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 18 (IANS) In another stunning disclosure, captured Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab has confessed that he and his associate Abu Ismail were planning to attack the posh Malabar Hill area of south Mumbai Nov 26 last year.
“After carrying out the attacks on Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus that evening, the duo was planning to proceed towards Malabar Hill,” Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said, shortly after the second day’s hearing here Saturday.
However, the duo who were fleeing in a hijacked car, were stopped at a police road block near Chowpatty beach that night.
While Ismail was killed in the shootout with security forces, Kasab was nabbed. The details of the sites to be attacked at Malabar Hill were known to Ismail, Nikam said.
Located in south Mumbai, Malabar Hill is home to VVIPs, including Maharashtra chief minister, governor, high court judges, central and state ministers, high-ranking bureaucrats, politicians, industrialists, businessmen, head honchos of multinationals, scientists, diplomats, religious heads, leading academicians and expats.
While Kasab and Ismail were directly involved in attacks at seven of the 13 sites attacked on 26/11, the others were attacked by their eight associates, all of whom were gunned down by the security forces during the 60-hour operation.
Nikam said Kasab has also revealed in his 40-page confessional statement how the attacks were planned in Pakistan.
However On the first day of the Mumbai terror attacks trial Friday, Kasab claimed he had made the confessional statement under duress. Through his court-appointed government lawyer S.G. Abbas Kazmi, he filed an application to retract his 40-page confession recorded before a magistrate.
“The denial will have no impact on the trial,” Nikam asserted. He added that the process of examining witnesses - over a hundred - will be started soon.
Kasab also claimed he was 17 and should be tried in a juvenile court.
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Pakistani terrorist retracts confession, alleges police pressure (Lead) - Apr 17, 2009
- Kasab planned to target Malabar Hills too during the Mumbai attacks - Apr 19, 2009
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Kasab spills 26/11 beans, then wants to retract confession (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2009
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Mumbai attacks: 312 charges against 45 terrorists - Apr 20, 2009
- Kasab planned to target Raj Bhavan too during the Mumbai attacks - Apr 20, 2009
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Mumbai attacks: Plea to examine US witnesses via video-conference - Jul 29, 2009
- Mumbai prosecutor Nikam demands death sentence for Kasab - May 04, 2010
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Kasab's admissions not a confession: lawyer Kazmi - Jul 21, 2009
- 26/11: Pak judicial panel to begin India visit Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012