Pakistani terrorist retracts confession, alleges police pressure (Lead)April 17th, 2009 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 17 (IANS) In a sudden turn of events, arrested Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab Friday retracted his confessional statement on his involvement in the Nov 26 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
The court-appointed government lawyer representing Kasab S.G. Abbas Kazmi told reporters after the first day’s hearing that this morning after the sealed envelope containing the 40-page confession was opened, he showed it to his client.
“I asked him whether this is your statement and it is your signature,” Kazmi said.
At this, Kasab said the confessional statement was taken by police under pressure and he did not record it voluntarily. He also claimed that he was not given an opportunity to give his say so he made the confessional statement under duress.
“Accordingly, as per his instructions, I have moved an application before Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani, seeking to retract Kasab’s confessional statement,” Kazmi informed.
Reacting to this, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that when a confessional statement is recorded before a magistrate, there are no policemen present, so there was no question of any police pressure.
Moreover, Nikam hinted that Kasab was being “prompted” by certain quarters to speak and behave in the way he was and the prosecution would disclose it at “an appropriate time”.
Nikam held that earlier this morning, he had proved Kasab was also lying about his age by claiming to be below 18 and demanding trial in a court for juveniles.
Responding to this, Kazmi said that it was Kasab’s contention that he is a juvenile, and now it was up to the prosecution to prove how old he was.