Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility for scribe’s murderJanuary 19th, 2012 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 18 (IANS) The Pakistani Taliban Wednesday said they have shot dead a local journalist working for an American radio network in northwest Pakistan.
Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) said it had sent two gunmen Tuesday to shoot Mukarram Khan Atif dead because he broadcast anti-Taliban reports.
The slain journalist was working for the Washington-based Pashto-language Deewa Radio and the local Dunya TV. He had been covering the Taliban and military operations in Mohmand tribal region, Xinhua reported.
Safeerullah Gul, Peshawar bureau chief for Dunya News, said that two gunmen shot the journalist in a mosque in Shabqadar area of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
Former president of the Tribal Union of Journalists Safdar Dawar said the murder took place against the backdrop of “unprecedented pressure” on the Pakistani media.
Atif was the first journalist to be killed in Pakistan this year. The report, however, did not say when he was killed.
Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has directed the concerned authorities to apprehend the killers and bring them to justice, his office said in a statement.
- Pakistani journalist working for US radio killed (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Tolerance of extremists detrimental to Pakistan: Daily - Jan 19, 2012
- One policeman killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Nov 12, 2011
- Pakistan to have TV channel to counter Taliban propaganda - Aug 12, 2011
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Pakistani politician escapes bid on life - Mar 03, 2012
- Six die in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- Zardari seeks probe into attack on journalist - Aug 23, 2011
- 27 killed as `schoolboy' bomber attacks Pakistan Army centre (Third Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Pakistani politician survives suicide attack (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Police vehicle attacked in Pakistan - Dec 17, 2011
- Anti-Taliban Pakistani beheaded - Oct 28, 2011
- Mischievous elements from Afghanistan tasked to create anarchy in Pak: KP Governor - Dec 25, 2010
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Suicide bombing kills 36 mourners at Pakistan funeral (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: american radio network, backdrop, bureau chief, dunya tv, former president, gilani, gunmen, journalist, journalists, killers, military operations, mosque, pakistan, pashto language, prime minister, scribe, taliban, ttp, unprecedented pressure, xinhua