Pakistani judges to visit prisoners in Indian jailsAugust 16th, 2008 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 16 (Xinhua) Judges from Pakistan and India will visit Indian jails to facilitate the early release of Pakistani prisoners, the foreign ministry here said Saturday. “The Pakistan-India Judicial Committee on Prisoners will visit Pakistani prisoners lodged in jails in Amritsar, Jaipur and New Delhi between Aug 18 and 23,” the ministry said a statement.
The committee, comprising eminent judges from both countries, was formed in January 2007 to speed up the release of hundreds of Indians and Pakistanis held in various jails in both countries.
The committee held its first meeting in February 2008 in New Delhi and visited Indian prisoners in Pakistan in June 2008.
Currently, fishermen from both countries are lodged in various Pakistani and Indian jails, who were arrested for illegally entering into each other’s territorial water in the Arabian sea.
However, both countries have freed prisoners from their jails in the recent past as part of goodwill gestures.
On the eve of India’s 61st Independence Day, Pakistan freed 34 Indian fishermen and a civil prisoner.
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- 180 Indian prisoners freed from Karachi jail - Jan 07, 2012
- 761 Pakistanis in Indian jails: Report - Feb 15, 2011
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan to release 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 11, 2011
- Pak to free 89 Indian prisoners on Friday - Apr 13, 2011
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Justify detention of Indian fishermen: Pakistan apex court - Aug 27, 2010
- Release prisoners who have completed term: Pakistan-India panel - Apr 23, 2011
- India urges Pakistan to free its fishermen - Aug 03, 2011
- Pakistan frees 100 more Indian fishermen - Sep 02, 2010
- Fates of Sarabjit, Chishty figure in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Pakistan frees 55 Indian fishermen - Aug 15, 2012
- Pakistan releases 18 Indian fishermen - May 23, 2012
- India releases eight Pakistani prisoners at Wagah check post - Mar 08, 2011