Pakistani journalist’s second autopsy conductedJune 1st, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 1 (IANS) A second autopsy was conducted here on journalist Syed Saleem Shahzad who was said to have been picked up by the ISI and later found tortured and murdered, a media report said Wednesday.
The second autopsy was carried out at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Hospital here.
Geo News quoted family sources as saying that on their insistence a medical board comprising three doctors was set up and it conducted Shazad’s autopsy.
The report would be released Thursday.
The body of 40-year-old Shazad, a correspondent of Asia Times Online who wrote extensively on Islamist groups, was found in a canal in Mandi Bahauddin area of Punjab province.
The journalist had authored an article for Asia Times that reported that the Al Qaeda’s operational arm carried out the audacious attack on the Karachi naval base after the navy refused to free sailors who had been arrested for suspected Islamist links.
This article, some of his friends said, may have been linked to his abduction and eventual murder.
A doctor who conducted the first autopsy had said: “It is very disturbing for all of us. He was beaten to death, his ribs were broken and marks of wounds were on his left side and on the legs.”
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistani journalists allowed to carry arms - Jun 01, 2011
- Cops squabble over jurisdiction in Shahzad probe - Jun 02, 2011
- Shahzad was killed for reporting truth: Pakistani daily - Jun 01, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured, killed: Official (Night Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Pakistan reporter was not supposed to be killed: Report - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan mourns Shahzad, killers roam free (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan apex court judge to head Shahzad killing probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Shahzad was kidnapped, killed with government sanction: US admiral - Jul 08, 2011
- Anger grows over Pakistani journalist's murder - Jun 01, 2011
- `Pakistani journalist's killers wanted to set an example' - Jun 04, 2011
- Journalist's killing may be due to personal enmity: Malik - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan fails to trace journalist's killers - Jan 13, 2012
- Probe complete in Pakistani journalist's killing - Dec 14, 2011
- Don't malign us: ISI on journalist's killing - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: abduction, al qaeda, asia times, autopsy, correspondent, doctor who, family sources, geo news, insistence, isi, islamist groups, medical board, operational arm, pakistan institute of medical sciences, pakistani journalist, pims hospital, ribs, sailors, shahzad, wounds