Pakistani journalist goes missingMay 30th, 2011 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 30 (IANS/AKI) The Pakistani correspondent of the Italian news agency AKI, who was abducted in 2006 by the Taliban, has gone missing since Sunday, officials said Monday.
Syed Saleem Shahzad was earlier kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan’s Helmand province in November 2006. He was released a few days later.
Shahzad has been working for AKI since 2004.
He reportedly failed to arrive at a TV station in Islamabad where he was to take part in a programme Sunday, officials said.
He has not been in touch with his family or colleagues. They also have been unable to reach him on telephone.
Shahzad’s mobile phone and car have not been traced yet.
After he was abducted in 2006, he contacted his wife and told her that he and another Pakistani journalist, Qamar Yousafzai, were being held hostage by Taliban commander Matiullah.
They were seized on suspicion of being spies. They were reportedly tried by the militants and released after they admitted to wrongdoing.
The two journalists reached the border with Pakistan seven days after they were kidnapped.
- Pakistan human rights commission urges release of missing journalist - May 31, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist is dead, says media (Second Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Pakistani journalist abducted by ISI? (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured, killed: Official (Night Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistan reporter was not supposed to be killed: Report - Sep 30, 2011
- Pakistan mourns Shahzad, killers roam free (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- ISI left out in Pakistani journalist's killing report: HRW - Jan 30, 2012
- Family waits for report on Pakistani journalist's killing - Nov 30, 2011
- Slain Pakistani reporter to be honoured in US - May 10, 2012
- Italian MP wants international probe into Shahzad's murder - Jun 16, 2011
- Unease after ex-official's death in Taliban captivity - Jan 25, 2011
- Journalist shot dead in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2011
- Journalist's killing may be due to personal enmity: Malik - Jun 01, 2011
- `Pakistani journalist's killers wanted to set an example' - Jun 04, 2011
Tags: abducted, being held hostage, colleagues, correspondent, few days, helmand province, italian news agency, journalists, militants, mobile phone, pakistan, pakistani journalist, seven days, spies, suspicion, syed saleem shahzad, taliban, taliban in afghanistan, tv station, wrongdoing