Pakistani jailbreak: senior officials transferredApril 17th, 2012 - 12:27 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 17 (IANS) Four senior officials have been transferred after Taliban militants stormed a jail in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and freed about 400 prisoners, a media report said Tuesday.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti transferred Commissioner Bannu Abdullah Khan Mehsud, IG Prisons Arshad Majeed Mohmand, DIG Police Range Bannu Mohammad Iftikhar Khan, and Deputy Superintendent Jail Bannu Mohammad Zahid from their posts over Bannu jailbreak incident, Geo News reported.
Hoti also ordered an enquiry into the incident.
Taliban militants struck at the Bannu jail early Sunday and freed nearly 400 prisoners.
At least 20 high profile prisoners, including one who was involved in an attack on former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf, were among those who escaped.
A preliminary report of the audacious attack has termed it a failure of the intelligence agencies.
The report said at least 150 militants attacked the jail. They arrived in 25 vehicles and were there for over an hour.
The escaped prisoners included 269 who were convicted, 89 under trial prisoners while 21 were awarded death sentence.
- Taliban are contract killers: Rehman Malik - Apr 16, 2012
- Over 140 who fled Pakistan prison back in jail - Apr 22, 2012
- Taliban attack Pakistani jail, nearly 400 escape - Apr 15, 2012
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Video shows Taliban welcome for man who escaped jail - Apr 20, 2012
- Pakistani daily rues lack of coordination to fight terror - Jul 13, 2012
- 400 inmates flee Pakistani jail - Apr 15, 2012
- Jail attack sign of Taliban's strength: daily - Apr 16, 2012
- Five dead, 24 injured in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- KP Chief Minister warns that 'undeclared third world war' underway in the region - Jan 14, 2011
- Pakistani minister escapes Taliban fire - Oct 31, 2011
- Six die in Pakistan suicide blast (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2010
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Crushing Afghan-based terrorists is US, NATO's responsibility: KP minister - Dec 09, 2010
- Peshawar airport renamed after Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: abdullah khan, amir, bannu, chief minister, death sentence, deputy superintendent, geo news, haider khan, ig, intelligence agencies, militants, mohammad, pervez musharraf, police range, preliminary report, prisoners, prisons, senior officials, taliban, zahid