Pakistani cricketer detained in Delhi (Lead, changing dateline)January 18th, 2009 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) Pakistani cricketer Mohammed Asif was Saturday evening detained at the airport here after he could not produce the necessary travel documents, airport sources said.Asif, a 26-year-old pacer, wanted to meet the management of the Delhi Daredevils - an Indian Premier League (IPL) team he has played for - to recover some $200,000 which the team owes him.
The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said immigration officials at the Indira Gandhi International Airport detained him after he could not produce the necessary travel documents, adding that there was no decision till late Saturday on his possible deportation.
Asif has been engaged in a legal battle in Pakistan to avoid a possible two-year ban over dope charges.
- Pakistani cricketer let off after detention in Delhi - Jan 18, 2009
- Asif runs into controversy in India, meets Daredevils officials (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2009
- Asif dismisses Delhi airport detention reports - Jan 18, 2009
- Asif's flight to Delhi cancelled - Jan 15, 2009
- Asif hopes for luck to change after getting hitched to childhood friend - Oct 02, 2010
- Asif's absence angers Pakistan cricket board's probe committee - May 11, 2009
- Crime trail leads to illegal Bangladeshi immigrants, 140 deported - May 26, 2011
- Asif cleared of charges of insufficient traveling document - Jan 18, 2009
- IPL tribunal reserves verdict after hearing Asif's dope case (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2009
- PCB reopens Asif's Dubai detention case - Jan 13, 2009
- Pak favourites to win T20 World Cup : Asif - Apr 17, 2010
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- UAE refuses to lift ban on Asif - Feb 08, 2010
- Pakistan prepares to deport Osama's family - Apr 17, 2012
- Asif leaves for Mumbai to settle IPL dues - Jan 17, 2009