Pakistani court declines to put Musharraf on Exit Control List

August 22nd, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS  

Islamabad, Aug 22 (Xinhua) A court in Pakistan Friday dismissed a petition asking for putting former president Pervez Musharraf on the Exit Control List (ECL), the News Network International (NNI) news agency reported.Chief Justice of Islamabad High Court Sardar Muhammad Aslam rejected the petition and said the people mentioned in the petition had not yet been formally charged and could not be stopped from going abroad.

The chairman of Defence Human Rights Organisation, Kahlid Khawaja, filed the petition accusing former officials - including interior minister Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee General Tariq Majeed, and several top police officers - of involvement in the “killing” of students in the Red Mosque last year.

Musharraf had ordered security forces to raid the mosque in July last year, which resulted in the killing of 90 male and female students of religious seminaries, the petition said.

The petition requested the Islamabad High Court to put Pervez Musharraf’s name among others on the ECL unless he was tried for his alleged “involvement” in the mosque killings, according to NNI.

Khawaja Azhar, lawyer for the petitioner, claimed that an attempt was made to register cases against Musharraf and others at a police station but the police officer refused.

Musharraf Monday announced his decision to resign as Pakistani president in national interest.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe