Pakistani charged with daughter’s ‘honour killing’ in USJuly 9th, 2008 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
New York, July 9 (IANS) Within two weeks of an Indian American getting sentenced for life for killing his daughter-in-law because she was black, a Pakistani has been charged with killing his newly-wed daughter in Atlanta because she wanted to end the arranged marriage. Sandeela Kanwal was found dead by the police Sunday in their family home in Jonesboro suburb of Atlanta in Georgia.
Appearing in court Tuesday, Rashid Chaudhry, 54, told the judge he did nothing wrong in killing Kanwal, but later said he was “very disturbed” and “not in a state of mind” to talk because of the death of his daughter.
He was advised through an Urdu interpreter of the murder charge and his legal rights. The judge also admonished him not to make any statements without clearing them with his attorney, CNN reported.
After Rashid’s wife called the police Sunday, officers discovered possible ligature marks on the victim’s body and noticed an iron and a necklace as possible causes of the bruising.
They also found a “distraught and possibly mournful” Rashid sitting behind a vehicle in the driveway.
Rashid’s wife told the police that Kanwal recently had wed in Pakistan in an arranged marriage and her husband lived in Chicago. The police said Kanwal remained at her father’s home and worked at an Atlanta Wal-Mart briefly.
“The victim was not interested in marrying, nor remaining married to her husband,” the police report said, citing information authorities received from Rashid’s wife.
“This was causing a great deal of friction between the victim and her father”, so much so that the two had not spoken in two months, CNN said quoting the report.
“Apparently she and the father had argued over the marriage and the fact that it was arranged, and at some point during the altercation he did end up killing his daughter,” said Clayton County Police spokesman Tim Owens.
A preliminary hearing in the case has been scheduled for July 24.
- Paralysed man kills wife and son - Feb 03, 2012
- Double murder: Slain woman's lover detained (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Double murder: Slain woman's lover detained - Feb 04, 2012
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Wedding wows! 120-year-old man marries 60-year-old - Oct 28, 2011
- Abducted woman untraced, husband still in hospital - Jul 29, 2012
- Twin murder: Couple held for hiring contract killers - Jun 19, 2011
- Indian teacher Ramalakshmi claims to be missing entrepreneur Muthuraja's wife - Sep 19, 2010
- ZING BIG SCREEN SHOWCASES PINJAR AT 8 PM - Sep 07, 2010
- Wife of Pak man shot by American diplomat in Lahore commits suicide - Feb 07, 2011
- Bengal women's panel seeks report on newly-wed couple - Sep 06, 2012
- Husband agrees to treat wife as 'sister' - Jun 17, 2011
- Farmer kills daughter for refusing to marry chosen groom - Feb 20, 2012
- Cameron wants Pakistan to act on British family's murder - Aug 28, 2012
- One held for killing woman in front of her son - Sep 12, 2012