Pakistani Canadian father charged for daughter’s killingJune 18th, 2008 - 11:47 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, June 18 (IANS) A Pakistani Canadian, who was arrested for allegedly killing his teenage daughter in December for not wearing the hijab, was formally charged in the case Tuesday Fifty-seven-year-old Muhammad Parvez, who appeared in court in Brampton on the outskirts of Toronto, was charged with first degree murder of 16-year-old Aqsa Parvez.
The young girl was reportedly strangulated by him in their home in Mississauga city (part of the Greater Toronto Area or GTA) on December 10. Autopsy reports at the time showed that the girl died from neck `compression.’
After strangulating her, the father reportedly called police. After attempts to revive failed her, she was admitted to hospital where she died.
The young girl had angered her family by reportedly refusing to wear hijab.
The victim’s classmates at the local Applewood Heights Secondary School had said at the time of the killing that Aqsa had problems with her family as she didn’t want to wear the hijab.
On her father’s insistence, they said, she would wear the hijab while leaving for school only to replace it with trendy clothes when she reached school. They recalled how she will sometimes run to the washroom to change herself into modern dress.
The kiling had made international headlines and shocked modern Muslims across Canada.
Muhammad Parvez will stay in jail and appear in court again on July 8.
- Honour killing over hijab gets life term in Canada - Jun 16, 2010
- Pakistani Canadian father charged with daughter's killing (Lead) - Jun 18, 2008
- Honour killings have no place in Canada: Minister - Jul 13, 2010
- Women's minister says 'honour killings' won't be tolerated in Canada - Jul 13, 2010
- Brother charged with Pakistani Canadian girl's murder - Jun 28, 2008
- "Honor Killings" On Rise In Canada, Says Memorial University Psychiatrist - Jun 18, 2010
- Usher's stepson laid to rest - Jul 28, 2012
- In cosmopolitan Karachi, women prefer hijab to burqa - Nov 17, 2010
- Muslim father strangles daughter in Canada for refusing to wear a veil - Dec 12, 2007
- Preetika Thinks Retro Look Should Return - Jan 20, 2011
- IIFA to hold Raj Kapoor film festival in Toronto - Mar 04, 2011
- Muslim girl in US pulled from basketball game as headscarf posed 'safety risk' - Jan 20, 2011
- Women wear hijab in support of hate victim - Apr 05, 2012
- Saudi Arabia threatens to quit Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- 6-yr-old Muslim girl banned from riding bus for bullying boy over hijab abuse - Oct 20, 2010