‘Pakistani army major in railway theft’September 14th, 2011 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 14 (IANS) The involvement of a Pakistan Army major in the theft of copper worth millions from a railway wagon has come as “a great shock”, said a Pakistani daily.
An editorial in The Nation Wednesday said that the state of affairs of Pakistan Railways is “a crying shame” as its freight trains are being stolen in broad daylight.
A wagon of a freight train carrying copper worth millions of rupees was taken away from Lahore and was found standing at a platform in Kharian in Gujrat district, “but of course without copper”.
“What is even more depressing is that the mastermind of the theft was no less a person than a serving army major,” it said.
The editorial added: “The involvement of the major has come as a great shock and it is hoped that strict disciplinary action would be taken against him if proven guilty.”
It went on to say that “this daylight robbery certainly gives an impression that the scourge of corruption is not institution specific and could rear its ugly head whenever and wherever it would find an opportunity”.
The officer, Major Ayub, was taken into custody over the theft from the wagon of the Pakistan Railways. A station master and two goods booking clerk also have been arrested.
The stolen cable had been sold in Gujrat district.
Online said that Aug 4, copper valued at Rs.240,000 was loaded onto a wagon of a freight train at Raiwind and it was to be transported to a store located at Lahore.
This wagon was stolen from Lahore Railway station Aug 12 and it reached Kharian in Gujrat Aug 15. Railway police registered case and the wagon was recovered from Kharian Sep 7.
- Pakistan Army major sacked for theft - Sep 15, 2011
- Pakistan Army officer held for theft - Sep 13, 2011
- Three Pakistanis held for selling fake train tickets - Aug 03, 2012
- Five die in Pakistan train collision - Aug 30, 2011
- Alert train driver prevents tragedy - Aug 06, 2011
- 29 injured as train derails in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Industry hoping for implementation of rail projects - Feb 24, 2011
- Six wagons of coal-laden goods train derail in UP - Jun 20, 2012
- `Wonder of wonders: A Pakistani train that runs on time' - Feb 05, 2012
- Railways starts train movement in violence hit Assam - Jul 25, 2012
- Islamabad-Istanbul train link from Aug 14 - Aug 05, 2009
- Panel suggests Rs.800,000 crore railways modernisation plan - Feb 27, 2012
- Run trains on time, says Pakistan PM (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Run trains on time, directs Pakistani PM - Jul 05, 2012
- CPI-M blasts rail fare hikes - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: ayub, booking clerk, broad daylight, crying shame, daylight robbery, disciplinary action, freight train, freight trains, kharian, lahore, pakistan army, pakistan railways, pakistani army, railway police, railway station, raiwind, rupees, scourge, state of affairs, ugly head