Pakistan will help India in terror probe, Zardari tells RiceDecember 4th, 2008 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 4 (Xinhua) Pakistan President Asif Zardari Thursday told visiting US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice that his government would assist in investigation into last week’s terror attacks in Mumbai, according to a statement from the presidential office. “The government will also take strong action against any Pakistani elements found involved in the attack,” the statement quoted Zardari as telling Rice.
“Pakistan is determined to ensure that its territory is not used for any act of terrorism,” Zardari told Rice.
The statement said the regional situation with particular reference to the situation arising out of terror attacks in Mumbai came under discussion.
Rice arrived in Islamabad after holding talks Wednesday with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other leaders in New Delhi.
Rice’s one-day visit to Islamabad is aimed at reducing tension between Pakistan and India in the aftermath of the Mumbai attacks.
Indian officials have blamed Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) for the Mumbai attacks which killed 172 people, including many foreigners, and injured 248.
Besides seeking “strong action” against “elements from Pakistan ” linked to the attacks, India has asked Pakistan to hand over 20 most wanted men, including LeT founder Hafiz Mohammed Saeed.
Pakistan has offered to conduct a joint investigation into the attacks.
Zardari said Wednesday that suspects wanted by India in the attacks in Mumbai would be tried in Pakistan if there was concrete evidence against them.
- Manmohan-Zardari meeting: India to press for action against Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- Ahead of Zardari visit, India ups pressure over Hafiz Saeed (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2012
- India presses Pakistan to probe Saeed's 26/11 role (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- US sanctions eight key figures of LeT - Aug 31, 2012
- Zardari-Manmohan to talk, India wants Saeed probed (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- US slaps sanctions on LeT, JeM - Nov 05, 2010
- Bring 26/11 attackers to justice, Manmohan tells Zardari - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari preparing ground for Manmohan visit to Pakistan? (Comment) - Apr 07, 2012
- Hafiz supporters rant against India - Apr 07, 2012
- Pakistan to contest US court notices to ISI officials - Dec 31, 2010
- PM says "proper atmosphere" needed for Pakistan visit - Aug 31, 2012
- Rice sees no military standoff between Pakistan, India (Lead) - Dec 04, 2008
- US slaps sanctions on terrorist groups behind Mumbai attacks ahead of Obama visit - Nov 05, 2010
- India welcomes ban on terrorist organisations in Pakistan - Aug 06, 2009
- US blacklists Pak charity foundation as "alias" of banned terrorist group LeT - Nov 25, 2010