Pakistan welcomes closure of Guantanamo detention centreJanuary 24th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 24 (Xinhua) Pakistan Saturday welcomed the US administration’s decision to close down the Guantanamo Bay detention centre. “Pakistan is confident that the new US administration will develop a holistic strategy in successfully overcoming the complex challenges confronting the world today,” the Pakistani foreign office said in a statement.
“Closing Guantanamo Bay Detention Centre signals an important step towards upholding the primacy of the rule of law and adds the much needed moral dimension in dealing with terrorism,” it added.
US President Barack Obama Thursday signed an executive order to close the Guantanamo prison within a year.
There are still six Pakistani prisoners in Guantanamo, including three declared by the US authorities as “high profile prisoners”, according to freed prisoner Qari Saad Iqbal Madni.
Madni was released last year after seven years in US prisons.
- US to release five Taliban from Guantanamo? - Apr 01, 2012
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- US reiterates commitment to Guantanamo prison closure - Apr 26, 2011
- Six Pakistanis in Guantanamo prison - Nov 11, 2008
- Publication of 'ISI-damning' Gitmo dossiers has 'put cat among pigeons': Pak Editorial - Apr 27, 2011
- Afghan prisoner commits suicide in Guantanamo Bay - May 20, 2011
- Social activist actress Jagger slams Obama for GITMO closure failure - Jan 12, 2011
- Obama reverses order halting military trails of Guantanamo detainees - Mar 08, 2011
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistani daily rues lack of coordination to fight terror - Jul 13, 2012
- Guantanamo detainees transferred to Latvia, Spain - Jul 23, 2010
- 35 Guantanamo detainees trained as terrorists in London - Apr 26, 2011
- Video shows Taliban welcome for man who escaped jail - Apr 20, 2012
- Guantanamo Bay prisoners were tortured: former inmate - Jan 19, 2009
- Khadr a 'rock star' in Guantanamo, psychiatrist testifies - Oct 27, 2010