Pakistan unhappy at South Africa’s Champions Trophy pulloutAugust 22nd, 2008 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Aug 22 (IANS) Pakistan’s campaign to stay as hosts of next month’s Champions Trophy received a major blow Friday when South Africa pulled out of the eight-nation contest because of security concerns.Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced that it won’t be sending a team for the Champions Trophy and has requested the International Cricket Council (ICC) to reschedule the tournament.
A spokesman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) described South Africa’s move as “unfortunate”, and pointed out that Pakistan is taking all possible steps to host the Champions Trophy in a successful manner.
The tournament is supposed to take place Sept 12-28 in Karachi and Lahore but with fears that Australia, England and New Zealand may also withdraw, chances are now dim the event will be held as scheduled.
“After extensive discussions and frank exchange of views, the board has resolved not to send our team at this time to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy,” said Norman Arendse, the CSA president, in a statement. “We respect the right of the PCB to stage the tournament and we would urge the ICC to reschedule the tournament as soon as possible,” he added.
But the PCB spokesman pointed out that a tight future tour programme of the ICC would give little chance of finding a slot for the Champions Trophy in the near future. “If the Champions Trophy is not held next month, then chances are that it won’t take place in the coming months.”
- South Africa pull out of Champions Trophy in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 22, 2008
- South Africa pull out of Champions Trophy - Aug 22, 2008
- PCB to receive 400,000 dollars for each World Cup match moved from Pakistan - Feb 04, 2011
- Pakistan needs major steps to bring back international cricket: ICC - Jan 14, 2011
- Stallions deserved to play in Champions League: Butt - May 27, 2010
- More trouble for Majola over unauthorised IPL payments - Mar 26, 2012
- South African sports minister to meet CSA bosses - Apr 26, 2012
- PCB out to prove it can provide fool-proof security - Sep 27, 2011
- Pakistan may play ODI series against Lanka - Sep 07, 2008
- Probe committee completes report on Zulqarnain's case - Nov 22, 2010
- India face South Africa in ICC Champions Trophy opener - Aug 21, 2012
- Indo-Pak cricket series revival on the cards? - Jul 06, 2010
- Cricket South Africa refuses to host Pakistan 'A' team - Apr 18, 2009
- Now, South Africa turns down PCB offer for tri-series - Sep 06, 2008
- CSA refused to host Pakistan A team - Apr 17, 2009