Pakistan troops cross LOC, five killed in skirmishJuly 28th, 2008 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 28 (IANS) One Indian and four Pakistani soldiers have been killed in a major ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops in the north Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir Monday. The gunfire between the two sides continued Monday night. Army sources here said a group of 10-12 Pakistani soldiers crossed into the Indian side of the Line of Control (LoC) in the Nowgam sector around 3.00 p.m. Monday.
“The group of intruding Pakistani soldiers started firing from their automatic weapons at the Indian post on our side of the LoC, resulting in the death of one soldier of the 22 Rajput Regiment,” an Army source here said.
“In the retaliatory firing, four Pakistani soldiers have been killed. The body of one Pakistani soldier is still lying on our side of the LoC,” the source added.
“Heavy automatic gunfire between the two sides is still continuing in the area,” the source said.
The defence spokesperson here confirmed the Indian casualty and incursion by the Pakistani soldiers, but remained tight-lipped about the exact number of Pakistani casualties in the skirmish.
An Indian Army officer in New Delhi said Director General of Military Operations Lt. Gen. Sekhon will talk to his Pakistani counterpart Major General Ahmed Pasha Tuesday on the hotline, following which there will be a flag meeting between the two countries to resolve the issue.
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- All quiet at LoC, day after six-hour firing - May 24, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Aug 26, 2011
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Indian, Pakistan troops exchange fire on LoC - Nov 26, 2011
- Four soldiers die in Kashmir accident - Jul 05, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani troops battle on Kashmir border - Jun 19, 2012
- Indian Army arrests Pakistani soldier in Jammu - Jul 12, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012