Pakistan to execute alleged Indian spy April 1: OfficialMarch 17th, 2008 - 8:56 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, March 17 (DPA) Pakistani authorities Monday confirmed that an Indian spy, sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in terrorist activities, would be hanged April 1. Sarbajit Singh was arrested in 1990 on the Pakistan-India border and charged with carrying out four bombings that killed 14 people and injured dozens more in Lahore and Faisalabad. His 1991 death sentence was upheld by the Supreme Court of Pakistan in 2006.
Singh, who has been identified as an agent of Indian intelligence agency, RAW (Research and Analysis Wing), denies the allegations, saying he is from a poor family who mistakenly crossed the border.
“This is a case where there is sufficient evidence and on the basis of that evidence and proof he has been convicted. He will be hanged on April 1,” said Khusro Pervez, Home Secretary of the eastern province of Punjab where Singh is imprisoned.
The death warrant comes two weeks after President Pervez Musharraf rejected Singh’s clemency plea.
“This was not a simple espionage case. It was a case where four acts of terrorism were carried out and many innocent people lost their lives. How can he be released?” Pervez added.
- Petition filed in Pak Supreme Court for reopening, re-adjudication of Sarabjit case - Mar 06, 2011
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Question mark over hanging of BKI terrorist Rajoana (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- SGPC wants president to grant clemency to Sikh terrorist - Mar 26, 2012
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Bhullar plea: Jurists divided on abolishing death penalty - Nov 20, 2011
- Akali Dal asks Punjab government, SGPC to save Rajoana - Mar 25, 2012
- Pak law minister says Sarabjit wont be pardoned if found guilty - Oct 06, 2008
- Pakistan to reconsider death penalty for alleged India spy - Mar 18, 2008
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Supreme Court issues notice on Indian in Pakistani jail - May 11, 2011
- Sarbjit Singhs family hopes to celebrate Diwali together at home - Oct 06, 2008
- Hang Kasab, Afzal Guru together: Togadia - May 06, 2010
- Pakistani daily laments acid attacks - Apr 09, 2012
- Raza Murad to launch 'Sarabjit Bachao Adolan' - Jan 01, 2012