Pakistan thanks India for helping it to UNSC seatOctober 29th, 2011 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 29 (IANS) Pakistan Saturday said India played a major role in supporting its successful bid to become a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
“Many of the countries that Pakistan considered friends were no longer friends of the country. But India supported us in becoming a non-permanent member of the 15-member Security Council and played a major role,” Pakistan’s Ambassador to the UN Abdullah Hussain Haroon was quoted as saying by Geo News.
Pakistan — which was challenged by Kyrgyzstan — was backed by 129 of the 193 member states in the General Assembly. Kyrgyzstan secured 55 votes. Pakistan will Jan 1 next year replace Lebanon, which currently occupies the Asian seat, for a two-year term.
“I think we should not be discouraged by the reaction by some of the nations in the UN because I can say the world wants Pakistan to play a positive role in the global scenario,” Haroon said.
The UN Security Council has five veto-holding permanent members — the US, Britain, France, Russia and China — and 10 temporary-elected members without veto power.
- Pakistan set to assume UNSC seat - Jan 01, 2012
- Pakistan thanks India for UNSC backing - Nov 10, 2011
- Pakistan joins India on UN Security Council - Oct 22, 2011
- Pakistan seeks support for UNSC seat - Sep 28, 2011
- Pakistan in UNSC shows country not isolated: minister - Nov 04, 2011
- India to focus on UN peacekeeping during presidency - Aug 03, 2011
- Pak opposes expansion of UNSC without veto powers to counter India's move - Jul 14, 2010
- Five new UNSC members begin their term - Jan 02, 2012
- Non-permanent UNSC seat a step forward: Krishna (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- G4 countries push for Security Council expansion - Feb 12, 2011
- China backs Pakistan for UNSC seat - Oct 19, 2011
- Renewed bid for UNSC expansion by India, others (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- India backs modest expansion of UN Security Council - Feb 21, 2011
- Rudd to intensify Australia's bid for UNSC seat - Jan 22, 2011
- Overwhelming support got India UN seat: Krishna - Oct 12, 2010