Pakistan sends relief goods to cyclone-hit MyanmarMay 11th, 2008 - 7:21 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, May 11 (Xinhua) Pakistan Sunday dispatched two military C-130 aircraft with relief goods on board to the cyclone-hit Myanmar. The goods include tents, plastic sheets, mosquito nets, medicines and water purification tablets, said a government statement.
Myanmar has said nearly 23,000 people have died and 42,000 are missing after the tropical storm Nargis hit the country May 3 - the worst cyclone to hit Asia since 1991.
These relief flights also carried other urgently needed supplies for the survivors of last week’s devastating cyclone, the statement said.
The UN has launched an appeal of $187 million in aid for Myanmar. It said that as many as 1.5 million people could have been affected by the cyclone.
“The people of Pakistan are deeply shocked and saddened after the devastating cyclone which hit Myanmar last week, resulting in the loss of thousands of lives and valuable property,” additional secretary of Pakistan’s cabinet division Atta Muhammad Raja said.
He said Pakistan will set up a fully equipped mobile hospital in Myanmar after the authorities in that country gives the permission.
- 12,000 tents distributed in Pakistan province - Aug 21, 2011
- Pakistan gives out tents, food to flood-hit - Oct 04, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- Eight mn fake tablets detected in Pakistan - Sep 27, 2011
- Rampant HR violations, apathy by Burmese Military Junta leaves cyclone victims hapless - May 08, 2010
- 70,000 cyclone-hit people in Andhra relief camps - May 21, 2010
- Next cyclone to hit northen Indian Ocean will be Ward - Nov 11, 2009
- Burmese military junta chief thought of buying Man U: WikiLeaks - Dec 07, 2010
- India offers help to quake-hit Myanmar - Mar 26, 2011
- UAE sends aid to flood-hit areas in Pakistan - Jul 30, 2010
- Krishna opens rice silos in Myanmar for disaster relief - Jun 21, 2011
- China pledges more aid for flood-hit Pak after US' appeal to "step up to the plate" - Aug 21, 2010
- India flies in more relief for cyclone-hit Myanmar - May 07, 2008
- PM condoles deaths in Myanmar quake, offers help - Mar 26, 2011
- Cyclone-hit Andhra hopeful of liberal central aid - May 23, 2010