Pakistan produces its first tank gunApril 18th, 2011 - 12:22 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 18 (IANS) Pakistan’s first locally-produced tank gun is ready to be fitted for its Main Battle Tanks (MBT), a media report said.
Dawn Monday said that the tank gun is ready to be delivered to the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) for Al-Khalid and Al-Zarar tanks. A tank gun is the main armament of a tank.
HIT used to earlier procure 125 millimetre “blanks” from France for the army’s two main battle tanks. Blanks are the final shape of the gun barrel before it is finished. It was then fitted into the tank at HIT.
While Al-Khalid - a joint venture between Pakistan and China - has been with the army since 2001, Al-Zarar is an upgraded T-59 tank.
The country’s first blank was produced at the Heavy Mechanical Complex (HMC) in Taxila.
Dawn quoted an official as saying the army had given a go-ahead for the production of 50 125 mm barrels for the two MBTs.
A specialised weapons grade steel was used to manufacture the tank gun. A block of metal is pressed to become a five-metre-long square bar that is forged into a smooth bore 125 mm barrel.
The HIT has finalised a deal for Rs.200 million for the 50 barrels, which is slightly less than the cost of each barrel bought from France.
The official said that after delivering 50 tank guns, the HMC plans to produce artillery guns for the Pakistan Army.
- Pak's 'Azm-e-Nau-III' military exercise a message to India? - Apr 19, 2010
- Russia tests Italian tank - May 12, 2012
- 2,000-year-old objects found in Pakistan's Taxila - Jul 02, 2011
- Six die in botched Pakistan hostage rescue attempt - Dec 30, 2011
- India roles out indigenous T-90 Bhishma tanks - Aug 24, 2009
- Indian Army to get 124 more Arjun tanks - May 17, 2010
- Arjun tanks ready for comparative trials with Russian T-90 - May 25, 2009
- Rakhi celebrated in Pakistan - Aug 12, 2011
- Rockets fired at Pakistan Military Academy (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- ISI chief leaves for Washington for day's visit (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- No shortage of artillery guns: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- Modernisation is main challenge for new army chief - Mar 30, 2010
- FAQs on Bofors guns and graft row - Apr 25, 2012
- In final test, Arjun tank to take on Russian T-90 - Jan 16, 2010
- Parliament panel concurs with Indian Army chief on arms shortages - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: al khalid, armament, artillery guns, china, dawn, first tank, grade steel, gun barrel, heavy industries, hmc, joint venture, main battle tanks, mbts, pakistan army, rs 200, shape, tank gun, tank guns, weapons