Pakistan Peoples Party wants to advance Senate electionsJanuary 6th, 2012 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 6 (IANS) The ruling Pakistan Peoples Party leadership has decided to hold the Senate elections in mid-February, the Dawn quoted a senior party member as saying.
The decision came amid speculations that the coalition government might be wrapped up or face a “big blow” before Senate elections scheduled for March 11, the Dawn said.
It said the decision was taken at a meeting of the PPP’s core committee, jointly presided over by President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani at the Presidency.
The Senate elections are held every three years on the retirement of 50 percent of its members. The term of a senator, however, is six years.
Last elections were held March 3, 2009.
The PPP leadership also decided to hold by-elections to seats recently vacated by legislators who had joined the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf.
“The meeting decided to hold by-elections to all vacant seats and complete legal formalities for the purpose at the earliest,” said the president’s spokesman, Farhatullah Babar.
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Bilawal to take up 'some political responsibility' in September: Zardari - Apr 28, 2011
- YSR party wants by-polls in one go - Feb 13, 2012
- By-poll for Gilani's seat in July - Jun 22, 2012
- By-elections to seven seats relief for Congress in Andhra - Feb 17, 2012
- Bilawal Bhutto Zardari to be new chief of Zardari tribe - May 27, 2011
- Pakistan elects senators (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Myanmar recognises Suu Kyi's NLD as political party - Dec 13, 2011
- BJP pits Pant against Uttarakhand CM - Jun 19, 2012
- Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Zardari has not offered to resign: Spokesman (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Some want to delay senate polls: Gilani - Feb 04, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Trouble in Kerala's ruling coalition over ministership claims - Mar 26, 2012
- Qureshi, PPP patch-up after blazing row - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, coalition government, core committee, dawn, gilani, legal formalities, legislators, march 11, pakistan peoples party, party leadership, party member, ppp, presidency, prime minister, retirement, senate elections, six years, speculations, spokesman, vacant seats