Pakistan not to seek global help for quake victimsOctober 29th, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 29 (DPA) Pakistan said Wednesday it does not intend to seek international help following the deadly earthquake that hit the country’s southwest Balochistan province, killing 160 people and leaving thousands homeless.”According to initial information, the situation is localised so far. We can deal with it,” Farooq Ahmed Khan, chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority, told reporters in Islamabad.
“If someone wants to provide assistance, it would be most welcome. But we do not want to make an appeal at the international level,” he added.
Earlier, the European Union (EU) offered humanitarian help to Pakistan.
“The EU stands ready to assist Pakistan with humanitarian assistance if requested,” EU external affairs commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner said in a statement.
Officials put the deaths at 160 and feared the figure might rise as high as 190.
Khan said the government has initially established two tent villages in Ziarat, the worst affected district, for 2,000 to 2,500 people estimated to have lost their homes.
Eight villages, mostly consisting of mud houses, were hit by the tremor with a magnitude of 6.4 on the Richter scale.
- Over 170 killed in Pakistan quake (Night Lead) - Oct 29, 2008
- Moderate quake hits Balochistan - May 25, 2012
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 24, 2011
- Quake damaged 200 houses in Pakistan town - Jan 20, 2011
- Pakistani man to donate money quake-hit families - Jan 23, 2011
- EU to send 100-member team to observe Afghan elections - Jul 13, 2009
- EU offers over $138 mn in aid to Pakistan - Jun 17, 2009
- EU urges Russia to keep moratorium on death penalty - Nov 13, 2009
- UNHCR seeks $33 mn for Pakistan flood victims - Sep 21, 2011
- EU, Russia sign pacts to develop border regions - Nov 19, 2009
- EU split over upgraded Israel relationship - Apr 27, 2009
- Unesco fails again to elect new head - Sep 19, 2009
- Sri Lanka situation risky and dangerous: EU official - Mar 17, 2009
- EU increases financial assistance to Pakistan - Mar 25, 2009
- India, EU ink nuclear pact, to have trade treaty by 2010 - Nov 06, 2009