Pakistan not to extend Lawson’s contractOctober 20th, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 20 (IANS) Australian Geoff Lawson will see through his two-year term as Pakistan coach, but his contract won’t be extended beyond April, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Ijaz Butt said.Butt, who took over as the PCB chairman earlier this month, said in an interview Monday since it would be “too costly” to remove Lawson, he will be allowed to complete his stint.
PCB chief also made it clear that the board will not carry on with Lawson after April and will mostly likely opt for a home-grown coach.
Butt said Lawson’s two-year contract stipulates the PCB will have to pay the Australian more than a $100,000 if it sacks him. The Australian gets around $175,000 plus perks per annum.
“He is an expensive coach who hasn’t delivered much,” said Butt, a 70-year-old former Pakistan Test opener, who is regarded as a hard taskmaster.
Butt said Pakistan has a couple of important assignments coming up in the next few months and should stick with Lawson till then. Pakistan will be playing against the West Indies in a One-day International series next month in Abu Dhabi and will then host India for a Test and ODI series in Jan-Feb next year.
Lawson took over as Pakistan coach last summer following the tragic death of Englishman Bob Woolmer in Kingston, Jamaica, last March during the World Cup. Under Lawson, Pakistan lost back-to-back Test and ODI series against South Africa and India but reached the final of the inaugural World Twenty20 Championship in South Africa.
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Pakistan cricket coach Geoff Lawson sacked - Oct 24, 2008
- Pak likely to continue with Intikhab as cricket coach on NZ tour - Dec 02, 2010
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
- PCB boss Butt 'secretly' leaves for NZ to decide on Pak captain for World Cup - Jan 21, 2011
- Lawson aims to complete two-year stint as Pakistan coach - Oct 11, 2008
- Waqar named as new Pakistan coach - Mar 02, 2010
- PCB chief says hell let useless Lawson complete his two-year term - Oct 21, 2008
- Lawson flies home with mixed memories - Oct 31, 2008
- Lawson willing to return but wants apology from PCB chief Butt - Feb 12, 2010
- "Yousuf should concentrate only on Test cricket": Moin Khan - Nov 27, 2010
- Miandad can replace Intikhab as Pakistan coach - Nov 14, 2009
- "Pak Player Still Not Paid for T20 World Cup": Geoff Lawson - Nov 17, 2010
- PCB likely to remove assistant coaches Aaqib Javed, Aijaz Ahmed - Sep 30, 2010
- Afridi pays price for speaking truth about team selection process for UAE series - Oct 13, 2010