Pakistan MPs to visit India for SAARC meetJuly 6th, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) Ahead of talks between the foreign ministers of India and Pakistan, the two countries will have time for a bit of track-II diplomacy when a Pakistani parliamentary delegation, led by National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza, interacts with Indian MPs here later this week.
Mirza, the first woman speaker in the Muslim world, will lead the Pakistani delegation which will participate in the fifth summit conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians.
The four-day conference will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here Saturday.
The themes chosen for discussions at the conference include ‘Consolidating Democracy, Strengthening trust between Parliament and People, and Sustainable Development in SAARC Countries - The Way Forward’.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has set up a reception committee for the conference, with K. Rahman Khan, Rajya Sabha’s deputy chairman, as its chairman and DEputy Speaker Karia Munda as the co-chairman. The committee comprises 38 members, including Minister of Parliamentary Affairs Pawan Kumar Bansal, besides sitting and former members of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
Besides meeting Indian MPs, the Pakistani parliamentarians are likely to meet a swathe of civil society, signalling improved atmospherics after India resumed dialogue with Pakistan in February this year.
During the talks in Islamabad last month, the foreign secretaries of the two countries agreed that people were at the heart of the relationship and decided to step up interaction between their civil society, sportspersons and parliamentarians.
India and Pakistan will hold talks between their foreign ministers in New Delhi later this month.
- First Pakistani leader to speak in parliament's Central Hall - Jul 08, 2011
- SAARC MPs' conference concludes with call for peace - Jul 11, 2011
- Indian parliamentary delegation arrives in Pakistan - Feb 21, 2012
- Ahead of Krishna visit, India, Pakistan MPs to talk peace, trade - Aug 22, 2012
- India, Pakistan MPs brainstorm on liberal visas, media role - Aug 23, 2012
- Meira Kumar surprised at Pakistanis' love for Indians - Feb 25, 2012
- Parliamentarians meet in Bern, focus on global crises - Oct 17, 2011
- Manmohan a man of peace: Gilani (With Images) - Feb 22, 2012
- Myanmar seeks collaboration with Indian business houses - Dec 20, 2011
- Lok Sabha Speaker heads MPs team to South American nations - Jan 14, 2012
- India, Pakistan parliamentarians to hold dialogue next week - Aug 13, 2011
- Pakistan working for women's empowerment: Sherry Rehman - Jun 10, 2012
- Meira Kumar applauds Myanmar parliament's new look - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Pakistani, Indian MPs one on peace talks' - Aug 21, 2011
- 2G spectrum logjam continues, parliament adjourned again (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
Tags: atmospherics, bansal, deputy speaker, india and pakistan, indian mps, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, meira kumar, ministers of india, munda, muslim world, parliamentary affairs, parliamentary delegation, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, reception committee, saarc countries, summit conference, woman speaker