Pakistan may be struck off World Cup rosterMarch 3rd, 2009 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 3 (IANS) The International Cricket Council (ICC) has taken a serious view of the Lahore terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team and may remove Pakistan as one of the 2011 World Cup organisers. A final decision will, however, be taken at an emergency meeting of the executive board in Dubai this weekend.
A highly placed ICC source told IANS that ICC president David Morgan and chief executive Haroon Lorgat Tuesday made amply clear that it would be difficult for Pakistan to hold international cricket in their country in the wake of the Lahore terror attack Tuesday.
Morgan minced no words when he said Pakistan is a very dangerous place and international cricket in that country is out of question until there is a significant change. Lorgat went a step further by saying that there will be serious repercussions to the Lahore attack and the “ICC will take a serious decision in the next 48 hours.”
The ICC source said the apex body was hoping that things would improve for, at least, cricket to go on, but Tuesday’s ghastly attack had left them with no choice but to take serious steps.
Asked, whether there’s a question mark over Bangladesh, too, in view of the mutiny by the men of the Bangladesh Rifles there, the source said the Dubai meeting would discuss all issues connected with World Cup security.
Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are the co-hosts of the World Cup along with India.
India have been allotted eight venues, Pakistan four, Sri Lanka two and Bangladesh one and the hosts will play all their preliminary league games at home.
As some former Pakistan captains like Javed Miandad, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis said it would be difficult for the Pakistan Cricket Board to convince any team to play cricket in their country.
“Even the ICC will now find it hard to allow the World Cup matches to be held in Pakistan. It is gone,” said Waqar.
Miandad, said Pakistan cricket had been badly hurt. “It is all gone.”