Pakistan forces launch new offensive against militantsDecember 30th, 2008 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 30 (Xinhua) Pakistan’s security forces opened a new front against militants in a tribal region bordering Afghanistan early Tuesday, the News Network International (NNI) news agency reported. The security forces launched an offensive in Jamrud, a main town in the Khyber tribal region, said the report.
The main highway between Pakistan and Afghanistan was closed as the army guns pounded positions of suspected militants, region’s administrative officer Tariq Hayat was quoted as saying.
Witnesses said three people including two children were killed in the shelling by the security forces.
Officials said that movement along the Pak-Afghan highway had become risky due to the militant activities and Afghanistan-based Nato supply trucks and oil tankers were being attacked regularly on the route.
Pakistani forces are already engaged in offensive against militants in the Bajaur tribal region and Swat valley in North West Frontier Province, according to the NNI.
- 2 NATO tankers destroyed by militants in Pakistan - Dec 20, 2010
- NATO tanker destroyed in bomb explosion in Khyber, supply suspended - Jan 03, 2011
- NATO tanker blast kills 15 in Pakistan - May 21, 2011
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- NATO oil tanker blown up in Pakistan - Apr 19, 2010
- Three Pakistani soldiers killed in bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- Afghanistan to probe NATO airstrike on Pakistan - Nov 28, 2011
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- Eight NATO tankers destroyed in Pakistan blast - Jun 08, 2011
- Pakistani forces demolish militant outfit's headquarters - Sep 05, 2009
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- Two NATO oil tankers destroyed in bomb explosion in Pak's Khyber region - Mar 04, 2011
- Pakistani troops kill 25 militants, NATO supply tanker bombed (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Taliban lose their `Hilton' after border battle - Mar 04, 2010