Pakistan enhances securitySeptember 21st, 2008 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 20 (IANS) Security throughout Pakistan, particularly at government installations and foreign missions, was enhanced after a massive explosion here killed more than 60 people Saturday evening.Sources in the interior ministry said all foreign and UN mission buildings in Islamabad, Lahore, Peshawar, Karachi and Quetta were provided additional security.
The already highly guarded Diplomatic Enclave in the capital was sealed after the blast and police commandos were seen around the area, only one and half kilometre from the blast spot.
All entry and exit points of Islamabad were sealed and vehicles were being searched thoroughly. “Each and every vehicle and individual is being searched,” said a police official.
Extra security measures had been in place in the capital since the morning as President Asif Ali Zardari was to address a joint sitting of the two houses of parliament.
Zardari in his address called for joint efforts to deal with extremism and terrorism.
- Pakistan to act against foreigners living illegally - Oct 30, 2011
- Pakistan bars US diplomats from travel without permission - Oct 12, 2011
- 25 injured in Islamabad protests over anti-Islam film (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Blasts rock Pakistan, 11 killed - Sep 18, 2012
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Violent incidents in Pakistan since Osama's killing - May 23, 2011
- Two kids killed in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Seven killed as multiple bombings rock Peshawar (Second Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- 12 killed as bombings target US consulate in Peshawar (Fourth Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Nine die in terror attack at Pakistan's key airbase (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Man held for plotting attack on Pakistan parliament - Mar 23, 2011
- Arms seized from US officials' cars in Pakistan - Jun 05, 2012
- 10 killed as bombings target US consulate in Peshawar (Third Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- Security beefed up in Delhi ahead of Independence Day - Aug 08, 2011